Friday, March 04, 2011

Visit to Everett High School


Not too long ago, I had the honor of being a guest at Everett HIgh School where my father had graduated. I had been there once before because the taekwondo school I came from (Shinn's TKD) had started a program there, but this had been my first time ever stepping through the halls as an adult. Much like the last time I went to my own high school (where my nephew is currently studying) it was almost shocking to see how young everyone looked. WOW.

I was invited in to speak to their Japanese classes, not only to show them that non-Japanese people can learn to speak the language well too, but also to give them a taste as to what exactly they can expect if they choose to go there. Before going there, I was a bit nervous as I hadn't done anything quite like it, but overall, they really really seemed to enjoy it, as did the teachers. I was pleasantly surprised at just how many questions the kids had, and how engaged they were.

From what I saw, they were all really really good kids. Basically, my class time consisted of my showing them a few videos of things I had done, and projects I had worked on, telling them about my own experiences, giving them some time to ask questions and then ending with my demonstrating an Irish Whip. Everybody really seemed to be in to it. It was also cool because one of my other nephews was in the class, so I had the chance to actually see him and speak to him and a few of his friends as well. Of everything that I have done with this whole wild and crazy lifetime of mine, doing stuff like this is my absolutely favorite. Working with younger kids has always been one of the great joys in life for me, and with high schoolers in particular, it's cool because you can still relate to them as adults, but they still have the open-mindedness and wonder that most people have squandered once they reach college. If a single one of them decides to get into martial arts and/or studies abroad in their college days, then I can say that this trip was totally worth it.

No comments: