Sunday, May 29, 2011

Training with Yuji Shimomura


I had a chance to work out with my favorite action director, Yuji Shimomura this weekend. After I returned to Japan after the March 11 quake, we met up briefly just to catch up, but this was my first time training with him. Actually, it was our first time training together in a few years.

I had told him that I am currently pursuing my expert status in knife fighting choreography from Art of Combat in Lansing, and asked him if he was working on anything that we could collaborate on. As he didn`t have anything lined up requiring that kind of choreo, he suggested we just get together, train, and possibly film a test. I met him at the PassGuard training gym (where I usually do my action training) and we got to work on it for a little while.

Everytime I work with Yuji, he absolutely amazes me. 1) because of his incredible physical skills 2) because of the depth of his philosophy on action and 3) because he`s just such an intelligent and good guy. While the choreo that I`d come up with wasn`t bad, he had A LOT of suggestions to make it better, and it made me want to completely go back to the drawing board.

We didn`t actually get to filming the test... but in a way I`m glad, because that will give me a chance come up with some way cooler sh-- before the next time I meet him. Really looking forward to committing something to film soon!

No comments: